My Books!

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Beyond the Book: National Chocolate Day

Welcome to Beyond the Book, your chance to interact with the characters you've come to know in my writing. Today's guest is Jake Douglas, hero of Rest Thy Head. Jake is a former marine who was badly burned in Afghanistan. He operates a beautiful mountain inn, Rest Thy Head. Here's Jake.

Okay, like Elaine said, I'm Jake Douglas. My brother and I operate the inn together, and I was the one who got charge of the kitchen. I try to learn one new recipe a week. This week, in honor of National Chocolate Day, I'm offering chocolate cake for dessert. Oh, you didn't know October 28 is national chocolate day?  LOL. Now that you know you can try this recipe. It's good, very moist and decadent according to my wife Peyton. Let me know if you try it.

Wet Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
½ cup cooking oil
1 cup water
4 TBSP cocoa
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp soda
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Sift flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Place butter, oil, water, and cocoa into a saucepan and bring to a rapid boil. When mixture boils, remove from heat and pour over sugar and flour mixture. Mix well with spoon and add buttermilk, soda, eggs and vanilla. Beat lightly and pour into greased and floured 13 X 9 X 1 ½ inch pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes.

Wet Chocolate Frosting 1 stick butter 4TBSP cocoa 6 TBSP evaporated milk 1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Place butter, cocoa, and milk in saucepan. When mixture comes to a boil remove from heat and add 1 box powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Pour over cake while hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment